Deadline: 30 March 2011
A PhD Scholarship on genetic analysis of archived tissue collections is available at the National Institute of Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua) with starting date August 2011. The scholarship is financed by DTU Aqua.
The project will be carried out in the Section for Population Ecology and Genetics in Silkeborg.
DTU Aqua is an institute at the Technical University of Denmark. The purpose of DTU Aqua is to provide research, advice and education at the highest international level within the sustainable exploitation of living marine and freshwater resources, the biology of aquatic organisms and the development of ecosystems as well as their integration in ecosystem-based management. The institute has an international research staff comprising approx. 90 academic employees.
Archived historical material from fish in the form of scales and otoliths is found in many research institutions across the Nordic countries. Such population samples constitute a unique source of DNA for conducting retrospective analysis of genetic changes over time. They allow identification of historical changes in the distribution, migration and abundance of fish populations, as well as temporal evolutionary changes within populations in response to environmental change. This project aims at performing genetic/genomic analysis on historical collections of cod and potentially other fish species from several Nordic populations in order to estimate the temporal stability of population structure as well as adaptive micro-evolution in relation to climatic variation. The insights on relationships between population structure, evolution and climate should be used in conjunction with forecasting models of environmental change in order to predict future distribution and abundance of fish populations. The project is part of a Nordic Centre of Excellence and will include collaboration with and visits to research institutions in Norway and Greenland.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree, or equivalent, in Population- or Evolutionary Genetics
- Previous experience with molecular genetic analysis
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Keen interest in research and a wish to work in the field of population genetics and evolution of aquatic organisms
Approval and Enrolment
Scholarships for a PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the successful candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD Guide.
Salary and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students at DTU. The period of employment is 3 years.
For further information about the project, please contact Professor Einar Eg Nielsen, email@example.com
, (+45) 40210231.
General information may be obtained from Helge Abildhauge Thomsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
(+45) 3588 3020, or Nina Qvistgaard, email@example.com
(+45) 3588 3090.
Do NOT send applications to this e-mail address, but use the electronic submission system - see below!
We must have your online application by 30 March 2011. Please open the link "apply for this job online", at the very bottom of this page, fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae - including a list of publications
- A letter motivating the application
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Conversion of grade averages to Danish grades (see guidelines for the conversion here)
- Brief research proposal (1-2 pages) presenting ideas on how to address the research topics given in the short description of the PhD project above.
Candidates may apply prior to ob¬tai¬ning their master's degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The purpose of DTU Aqua is to provide research, advice and education at the highest international level within the sustainable exploitation of living marine and freshwater resources, the biology of aquatic organisms and the dynamics of ecosystems as well as their integration in ecosystem-based management. DTU Aqua has 280 employees, of whom a third are scientific staff. The other employees are assistant biologists, laboratory technicians, IT employees, administrative staff, ship’s crew, student assistants etc. The institute is organized into eight scientific sections which carry out the research, educational and advisory activities. In addition, the institute has a number of scientific and administrative support functions, including the research vessel DANA. DTU Aqua has employees in Charlottenlund, Silkeborg and Hirtshals as well as on Dana. You can read more about DTU Aqua on www.aqua.dtu.dk
Other people searched for this opportunity using these tags:
- <powered by myBB master of science degree><powered by vBulletin south african department of science and technology><powered by myBB biology research><powered by myBB western regional climate><powered by vBulletin legal research training><powered by vBulletin china science and technology><powered by myBB american legal search><powered by myBB school physics projects><powered by vBulletin environmental science and technology><powered by myBB industry science & technology canada><powered by myBB legal><powered by myBB afghanistan><powered by myBB online regional planning certificate><powered by myBB chinese industry><powered by vBulletin research education technology><powered by myBB office of science and technology><powered by myBB u s government><powered by vBulletin biology><powered by vBulletin department of medicine><powered by vBulletin legal><powered by myBB high school physics projects><powered by vBulletin science project research><powered by myBB biology lab><powered by myBB united states government><powered by vBulletin financial forecasting models>
We won't know if you'll not let us know about what sort of scholarships you are looking for or what courses and where you are applying. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Our team might be able to help you find a suitable scholarship for free.
Ask Your Questions Below.----------