Deadline: 22 March 2011
We would like to extend a warm welcome to all international students who want to further their education at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS). We are very proud of the wide range of academic courses we offer which are attracting increasing numbers of international students from Asia, the Middle East, Europe, the Americas, New Zealand/Australia and Africa.
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) was established in 1954. In addition to its focus on the theory and practice of foreign languages, HUFS also encourages students to use the language skills that they have acquired to study the politics, economy, society and culture of each region of the world. HUFS is a specialized university that educates students to become creative experts, international Koreans and independent researchers who will contribute to the development and exchange of culture.
With its large number of international faculty, a high percentage of Korean faculty members who have received degrees from foreign universities, and its ratio of Korean students who have lived or studied overseas and who return to campus speaking a wide variety of foreign languages, HUFS has been designated the most cosmopolitan university campus in Korea. We hope you will join us in the exciting educational endeavor which is international education. We will do our very best to make your stay at HUFS a profitable one for you in terms of both your personal and educational development.
From All staff members working for international students at HUFS
Korean Government Scholarship Program for Graduate Students
(Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
1. Program Objective
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students in order to promote international exchange in education and mutual friendship between the participating countries.
2. Total number of Applicants for our Nomination : 10 persons
※ Nationality Requirement
|Quota||Name of Countries|
|1||Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Malaysia|
|2||Azerbaijan, Chinese Taipei, Ghana, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan,
Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Uzbekistan
|3||Algeria, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Congo, Czech,
Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Ecuador, El Salvador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Fiji,
France, Gabon, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iran, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya,
Kyrgyzstan, New Zealand, Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Poland, Republic of South Africa,
Romania, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Sudan, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United
Kingdom, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
3. Applicable fields for our university
Note: KGSP students are not allow to apply for HUFS-UPEACE Dual Master’s Program
* Graduate School -> http://www.hufs.ac.kr/gra
* Graduate School of International and Area Studies-> http://gsias.hufs.ac.kr
o Available course : Master’s Program, Doctoral Program.
Note: Combined Masters & Doctoral Program is not available at HUFS
4. Advantages for studying at HUFS :
HUFS provides additional scholarship to KGSP students who obtain high grades in their degree program.
5. Main Notes for the 2011 Selection
o The selection process for scholars will proceed in three steps. Firstly, applicants must be selected
by one of the following organizations: an embassy, an adoption association, or a university. Secondly, applicants who passed the first step must be selected by the NIIED Selection Committee. Finally, applicants who passed the second step must gain admission from a university.
o Organizations accepting applications: Korean embassies, adoption associations, and entrusted
universities in Korea.
* Applicants must apply for this program through only one organization. Applicants who submit
applications to more than one organization will be disqualified immediately.
o Selection Procedure
- 1st Selection: Each 1st selection organization will draft a selections standard based on the criteria supplied by NIIED, and recommend the best applicants according to its respective standards.
- 2nd Selection: The NIIED Selection Committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection organizations.
- 3rd Selection: All candidates who passed the 2nd selection successfully will be evaluated for admission by the universities which they applied; each candidate will gain admission from at least from one university.
* Applicants who were recommended by an entrusted university will automatically be granted admission to the universities which recommended them, upon the condition they are selected as a successful candidate in the 2nd Selection.
o Application Procedure for Graduate Study
- The successful candidates who were recommended by Korean embassies, Korean government
departments, or Korean adoption associations (the 1st Selection) and passed the NIIED Selection
Committee (the 2nd Selection) must choose 3 universities from the 50 listed entrusted universities
and apply for admission.
*The successful candidates who were recommended by Korean government departments must
apply for admission to the university designated by the respective recommending departments.
- The successful candidates who were recommended by an entrusted domestic university will gain
admission from the recommending university if they are selected by the NIIED Selection Committee
(the 2nd Selection).
6. Duration of Scholarship
o Master’s (01.09.2011 ~ 31.08.2014) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
o Doctoral (01.09.2011 ~ 31.08.2015) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
7. Korean Language Course
o All the scholars basically take one year of Korean language course in the designated language
o Only the scholars who will have passed at least Level 3 of the Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK)
are permitted to start their master’s or doctoral program.
o Scholars who do not pass at least TOPIK Level 3 after one year of Korean language course should
complete an additional six-month coursework in the Korean language.
* Scholars who take the six months’ additional course are disqualified from extending their scholarship
term beyond the designated duration of their scholarship.
o Language Institution : Institutions designated by NIIED (to be announced)
o Exemption from the Korean language course requirement: Korean proficiency at TOPIK Level 5 or 6
* Scholars who are exempted from taking the Korean language course may take their degree course starting from September 1st, 2011 or March 1st, 2012.
* Scholars who pass at least TOPIK Level 5 during the language course and want to start their degree course on March 1st, 2012 should obtain permission from NIIED in advance.
8. Application Requirements
o The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not qualified for this program.
o Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for a long period of time.
* Applicants have to submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and then submit an Official Medical Examination Report issued in a hospital to NIIED after passing the NIIED Selection Committee (the 2nd Selection). A serious illness reflected in the examination results will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship.
o Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2011 (born after Sep. 1st, 1971).
o Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of September 1, 2011.
* Applicants who have ever enrolled in the same program in Korea as the one they are applying for will be disqualified from the program. For example, an applicant who has previously enrolled in a master’s program in Korea cannot apply for the KGSP Master’s Program.
* Applicants who apply for the Master’s program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor’s degree.
* Applicants who apply for the Doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
* Applicants who are expecting to obtain the relevant required degree or diploma by August 31st, 2011 must submit a certificate of degree or diploma expectation, and submit the official certificate of degree or diploma by September 1st, 2011.
o Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
* If the transcript is not indicated in grades/marks/scores format, or is difficult to convert into percentages, attachment of official explanation from the attended institution is required.
o Applicants who have Korean proficiency or English proficiency may be given preference.
o Applicants who apply for natural science and technology program may be given preference.
o Scholarship Period : same as the period of invitation.
-Airfare : Round-trip economy class ticket.
* Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who already presently live in Korea for academic study or employment.
* The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided.
-Monthly Allowance : 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
-Research Allowance : 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester.
-Relocation (Settlement) Allowance : 200,000 won upon arrival
-Language Training Fee : Full coverage
-Tuitions : All admission fees are waived by the host institution. The tuition is paid by NIIED.
-Dissertation Printing Costs : 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
-Medical Insurance : 15,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
-Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
o HUFS Scholarship : Approx. 250,000 won per month (amount can change)
- KGSP students who achieve high grades during their degree program
(GPA 3.5 or above in 4.5 scale)
10. Detailed Selection Procedure
o The guideline, application form, and university information will be available at the websites of NIIED (www.niied.go.kr), GKS (www.gks.go.kr), Korean Embassies, and entrusted domestic universities.
o For applicants who apply for KGSP via entrusted domestic universities
- (1st Selection) Each entrusted university will draft its own selection schedule and plan based on the
criteria provided by NIIED, and accepts the applications. Each entrusted university will select up to
10 candidates from all the quota-assigned countries and recommend them to NIIED. They cannot
recommend more than 2 candidates from a single country.
- (2nd Selection) NIIED Selection Committee selects as many successful candidates as each
Country’s quota from all the candidates recommended by the universities.
- (3rd Selection) The candidates who are selected in the NIIED Selection Committee will be accepted
to the university which recommended them, and also be accepted as official KGSP scholars.
11. Selection Criterion
o All documents including transcript, self-introduction, study plan, certificates of language proficiency (Korean and English), recommendations, published papers and awards, etc., will be evaluated.
12. Required Documentation
o Place of submission
Graduate School of International and Area Studies
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
270, Imun-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea, 130-791
Tel: 82-2-2173-2449 / Fax: 82-2-2173-3369
o Deadline of Submission : March 22st, 2011
* Candidates whose paperwork is not submitted on time will be excluded from the Selection Committee.
o Required documents :
|Check List for Application Documents||Master’s||Doctoral|
|1. Personal Data (Attachment #1)||○||○|
|2. Self-Introduction (Attachment #2)||○||○|
|3. Study Plan (Attachment #3)||○||○|
|4. Letter of Recommendation (Attachment #4)||○||○|
|5. Pledge (Attachment #5)||○||○|
|6. Personal Medical Assessment (Attachment #6)||○||○|
|7. Copies of diploma(s) from previously attended undergraduate
|8. Official transcript of previously attended undergraduate institution(s)||○||○|
|9. Copies of diploma(s) from previously attended graduate institution(s)||-||○|
|10. Official transcript of previously attended graduate institution(s)||-||○|
|11. Certificate of TOPIK score (original copy), if available||△||△|
|12. Certificate of TOEFL or IELTS score (original copy), directly sent from ETS/IELTS, if available||△||△|
|13. Published papers, if available (one or two)||△||△|
|14. Awards, if available (one or two)||△||△|
|15. Copy of passport (possible to submit after selection)||○||○|
|16. Certificate of citizenship of parents of applicant : birth certificate,
passport, etc. (* applicable only to overseas Korean immigrants)
|17. Adoption documents (*applicable only to overseas Korean adoptees)||△||△|
o Number of copies for submission
- One original document (placed in a separate envelope) and 3 extra copies.
* Selection for successful candidates will be done strictly by the NIIED Selection Committee.
Therefore, appropriate documents should be submitted by the deadline.
- Dual applications are not accepted. Applicants must apply for this program via only one organization.
- Documents should be presented in their original form. Documents not in English or Korean must be accompanied by a complete English or Korean translation authenticated by the issuing institution.
- Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
- Incomplete or incorrect documents may lead to application rejection or failure in the Selection
Committee, and scholarship revocation if after entry into Korea.
- In case of submitting photocopied documents, applicants must submit the original to the 1st Selection Organization, and have the original one and the photocopied one collated. The confirmation of collation should be indicated in the photocopied documents.
- Applicants who are expected to graduate from their respective home undergraduate/graduate
institutions by September 2011, should submit the certificate (or letter) of expected graduation.
Applicants must submit the official certificate of graduation to NIIED by September 1st, 2011.
- Applicants must accurately fill out the health checklist truthfully. All successful candidates must take a medical exam after passing the 2nd Selection. In accordance with the requirements of the Korea Immigration Service and the KGSP Program, the candidates who are judged to be unfit for this program will not be accepted.
- Applicants may submit the copies of published papers, if available.
- Applicants may submit the copies of awards, if available.
- Applicants who have enrolled in a Korean university must submit one recommendation letter of the
Head of the department additionally.
* Applicants must submit all the documents by the checklist order. (Checklist for the application documents should be on the front page, followed by the required documents, stapled and attached.)
* Transferring to a different university is not permitted in any case after confirming the host university. In regards to changing majors, it would be permitted only under the mutual agreement of the departments concerned, with the scholarship period unchanged. (2 years of Master’s, or 3 years of doctoral, in total). However, quitting a program and applying for a new program is not permitted.
13. Selection Schedule
o Application Period : Feb. 1 ~ Mar. 22, 2011
o The 1st Selection by HUFS : March 28, 2011
o Deadline for Recommendation to NIIED : March 31st
o The 2nd Selection : Mid-April (NIIED Selection Committee)
o Announcement for the Results of the 2nd Selection : April 18th (posted on NIIED and GKS websites)
o Official Physical Examination : April 18th ~ May 13th (completed by candidates themselves)
o Entry into Korea : August 29 ~ August 31
o Korean Language Course : September 1st
o NIIED Orientation : September 23rd
14. For further information, please contact:
o Contact & Mailing Information for HUFS
Ms. Kang Miri (Main Coordinator for KGS Program)
Graduate School of International and Area Studies
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
270, Imun-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea, 130-791
Tel: 82-2-2173-2449 / Fax: 82-2-2173-3369
Mr. Kwon Yunki
Office of International Office / Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
Tel: 82-2-2173-2065 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
o KGSP Team, National Institute for International Education (NIIED)
- Address: #205 NIIED, 43 Ewhajanggil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-810, Republic of Korea
Korean version: 정부초청외국인장학생 → 공지사항
English version: Korean Government Scholarship Program → NOTICE
Korean version: 외국인대상 → 정부초청외국인장학생 → 공지사항
English version: Inbound → Korean Government Scholarship Program → Announcement
- Phone: +82-2-3668-1364, +82-2-3668-1358 - Fax: +82-2-743-4992
14. Other useful websites
ㅇ KCUE (Korean Council for University Education) http://www.kcue.or.kr
ㅇ Learning Korean http://www.kosnet.go.kr
ㅇ Universities and Graduate schools in Korea http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr
ㅇ Understanding of Korean culture http://korea.net
ㅇ Overseas Korean embassies http://www.mofat.go.kr
ㅇ Visa and Registration http://immigration.go.kr
15. Application Form : <Refer to the attachments>
Other people searched for this opportunity using these tags:
- <www niied go kr><gks go kr><www gks go kr><niied go kr><niied scholarship 2012><niied 2012><www niied go kr or www gks go kr><930 irancell ir><niied korea><niied korea scholarship 2012><niied scholarship><kgsp 2012><scholarship for laos 2012><korean government scholarship program for graduate students 2012><niied><niied scholarship 2013><niied go kr 2011><scholarship 2012 for laos><powered by myBB medicine definition><niied scholarship 2011><korean language scholarship 2012><scholarships for uzbek students 2012><powered by myBB insurance student><korean scholarship for international students 2012><korean government scholarship for graduate students 2012>
We won't know if you'll not let us know about what sort of scholarships you are looking for or what courses and where you are applying. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Our team might be able to help you find a suitable scholarship for free.
Ask Your Questions Below.----------